Thursday, May 26, 2011

Submission and Leadership

"The reason submission is avoided is that it almost always involves some kind of dying."
~ Scott Bessenecker

Struggling with this sentence today as I'm reading Bessenecker's book How to Inherit the Earth. His premise is that to follow Jesus we must be willing to submit our will to His will, which is exactly what Jesus himself modeled to us. But our resistence to Jesus' teaching is born out of our own pride and selfishness. He says if I do something that someone wants me to do, that I have no objection to doing in the first place, then it's not submission. Rather, submission involves doing something that goes against my own plans/will/desire; in other words, doing something I would mind doing in the first place.

I tend to agree with this, even if it does hurt my feelings to hear it. Submission isn't easy for me; real submission that is. I don't mind submitting to my bosses, who almost 100% of the time treat me with kindness, love, equality, loyalty, etc. Same with my wife. But when it comes to something where I stand to lose something, whether that's status, $, influence, etc...well, that's a different story. I've got some work to do...or rather, the Holy Spirit does, and I need to make some room for him to get after it.

No comments: