Sunday, November 20, 2005

Sacrifice

I was challenged today by my pastor to rethink my view on sacrifice. I guess for my whole life I'd assumed that a sacrifice was something you just did because you wanted to accomplish a goal in your life. It seemed to me to be something you just grit your teeth and do. Most of the time I wasn't happy about doing it, I just wanted to see something happen.

But as a Christ follower, what does it really mean to sacrifice? Is it this same idea --- we do it because we're supposed to, so we can please God or achieve some other spiritual goal? It's hard therefore it must be spiritual. Seems like I've mostly achieved feeling resentful about the sacrifice. Have you ever felt that way?

Well, my pastor painted me a picture of true sacrifice as having been done out of love not fear. He challenged me to think about how often I am actually willing to sacrifice something, not out of guilt or shame, but because I am truely thankful for what God has done and/or who God is in my life. When's the last time I WANTED to sacrifice something? I don't honestly know the answer to that question. I like to think I sacrifice for my family and for my ministry without expecting something back, that I am giving out of the goodness of my heart, but upon reflection I don't know if that's always the case. I think there is still a part of me that wants my sacrifice to be recognized, how much I'm giving up, how hard it is for me, so that it will be properly appreciated. I wonder how often I do this to God? --- "Lord, look at all the stuff I'm giving up for you, I hope you're keeping track because it's really hard and I'd like to get some extra credit here!"

I was really convicted by my pastor's challenge to view a sacrifice as something I'm willing to give up, not guilted into or coerced, but actually glad to do it. Not afraid that if I don't I'll lose credit with God. I'd like to think that sometimes I do this, for my family and for God. I guess my prayer is that I will do it more and more, "for the joy set before me", right?

Lord, help me to serve, love, and sacrifice as You do.

No comments: